Four stepped base leading to the octagonal pedestal bearing a small metal plaque. Large fluted column with eroded figure in niche at base. Surmounting the column is an eroded capping.
After proposals that the cross should be moved back to its original position ('Beaumond Cross') at the junction of London Rd and Cartergate, Newark and Sherwood District Council have decided that the cross will stay in Beaumond Gardens. It was felt that moving the monument could cause further deterioration and leave it vulnerable to damage through accidents and exposure to fumes.2
English Heritage is to make a detailed photographic record and recommend and initate measures to stabilise the stonework and halt further deterioration.3
One theory is that this was one of the Queen Eleanor memorials, but there is no documentary evidence of this and Beaumond Cross is different in design from the other Eleanor crosses.
The most likely theory is that the cross was an old Wayside Cross erected for travellers to rest and pray on their journeys.1
Repaired / and Ornamented / 1778 / at the Expense of / Charles Mellifh Efq / Recorder
A former plate (now stolen) on the cross bore the inscription, 'This cross erected in the reign of Edward IV, was repaired and beautified from the town estates, A.D. MDCCCI'.1
PMSA recording information