Bell Sculpture, Newark Hospital
Abstract sculpture comprising flat metal shapes and red perspex panels. Centre 'tower' houses the bell (no clapper).
Central Notts Healthcare Trust commissioned a sculpture, to incorporate the bell, to stand outside the new Newark Hospital (completed 1996). It was designed and made by a group of students from Loughborough Art College and Newark & Sherwood College.
The bell was originally from Newark Workhouse (built 1786). It was moved from there to the old Newark Hospital, which opened in 1881on London Road. It was discovered in the bell tower of the old hospital during renovation work in the early 1990s.
There is reportedly an inscription on the bell, but too high up to see
PMSA recording information