National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Commemorative stone


Type Marker

     Granite block with inscription on polished front. Small granite slab in front of block with polished top detailing unveiling details.
     Stone erected as part of local celebrations to mark the bicentenary of the last invasion of Britain
     Stone found at Pontiago in Pencaer where the French landed in 1797


Circular inscription cut into front face of stone: Outer circle: GLANIAD Y FFRANCOD Inner circle: THE LAST INVASION OF BRITAIN Within this circle: 1797 1997 Inscised on small granite slab in front of block: THIS STONE WAS UNVEILED ON 22 FEBRUARY 1997 BY / The Right Honourable Lord Parry of Neyland DL / DADORCHUDD WYD Y GARREG HON AR 22.2.1997 GAN / Y Gwir Anrhydeddus Yr Arglwydd Parry o Neyland DL

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Rees, Ieuan Designer

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Whole work Granite 140cm high x 75cm wide x 47cm deep

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • Other
  • None
Road West Street
Precise location Set in grassed area alongside road
A-Z ref None
OS ref SM958373
Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1997
Unveiling details 22 February 1997
Commissioned by Bicentenary Committee
Duty of care Pembrokeshire County Council
Listing status Not listed
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results