National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Parry Monument


Type Shaft

     Obelisk of polished red granite. The plinth has polished panels, unpolished elsewhere. Base is unpolished and is on thin white marble which in turn is on a rock-faced stone plinth.
          Cadw Report: John Parry was turned out of Plas Llanarmon farm because of his campaign to have tithes paid by estate owners, not tenants.


Incised letters on polished granite panel on front of pedestal, letters painted gold: "EGLWYS RYDD A GWLAD RYDD" / Y / GOLOFN HON / A / GODWYD / GAN / WLADWYR CYMRU / ER COF AM / JOHN PARRY / LLANARMON / ARWR / RHYDDID GWLADOL A CHREFYDDOL / GANWYD GORPHENAF 24 , 1835 / BU FARW MEHEFIN 3 , 1897.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Bower & Florence, Aberdeen, None Stonemason

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Whole work Polished red granite 480cm high approx

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • Other
  • None
Road Minor road running north from village main street towards Rhiw Ial
Precise location In railed front court of Capel Bethel, Rhiw Ial
A-Z ref None
OS ref SJ186565
Date of design None
Year of unveiling c.1898
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by None
Duty of care Denbighshire County Council
Listing status II
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results