Sicilian marble figure of Dr. Pierce on tall column standing on moulded pedestal with bronze reliefs. Male standing figure with right leg slightly forward holding rolled sheaf of papers in left hand. Right arm flexed with fingers holding waistcoat. (NB: Lightning conductor behind statue). Three bronze reliefs by Mario Raggi depict the various charitable acts of Dr. Pierce. Column has an octagonal base and stands on a square plinth with moulded base and top. This is raised up on a square stepped platform of six steps.
In 1872, after he had been a doctor in the town for 40 years, a number of his admirers formed a committee with the purpose of commemorating his service to the community as a J.P., Mayor and physician. Dr. Pierce himself favoured a scholarship at the local grammar school. The result was a statue with the limestone column quarried from Denbigh.
Dr Evan Pierce (1808-1895) was born in a small village just outside Denbigh and attended Denbigh Grammar School. He undertook his medical training at Edinburgh University and qualified in 1832. On his return to Denbigh that year he was faced with a cholera epidemic that had claimed 300 lives in one month. He joined other local doctors in caring for the sick and after hard work the epidemic was finally brought under control. He established a practice in Denbigh and bought a house directly opposite the present monument (the building was demolished in 1953). He became a member of Denbigh Town Council in 1848 and was Town Mayor for four years in succession, 1866-1870. He died in 1895 and is buried in Denbigh.
Incised on bronze panel on front of pedestal: ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION / IN HONOUR OF / EVAN PIERCE ESQ., M.D. ST AND.. / F.R.C.S., M.R.C.S. ED., L.S.A. LOND., M.F.P. AND S. GLASG. / HER MAJESTY'S CORONER FOR THE COUNTY OF DENBIGH: / ALDERMAN OF DENBIGH, / A JUSTICE OF THE PEACE, / AND FOR FIVE SUCCESSIVE YEARS / MAYOR OF THE BOROUGH. / AS A MAGISTRATE, AN ABLE AND JUST ADMINISTRATOR OF THE LAW: / AS A CORONER, INDEPENDENT AND UNFLINCHING / IN THE DISCHARGE OF HIS DUTIES: / AS A PHYSICIAN AND SURGEON LEARNED AND SKILFUL: / AS A MAN EVER READY TO DO GOOD UNTO ALL. / TO THE POOR AND LOWLY, AS WELL AS TO THE RICH AND MIGHTY. / IN SEASONS OF GREAT PERIL- AS DURING THE CHOLERA EPIDEMIC OF 1832- / INTREPID AND DEVOTED IN HIS ATTENDANCE ON THE SUFFERERS: / CONSPICUOUS BOTH AS A CONTRIBUTOR AND CO-OPERATOR IN / EDUCATIONAL, PUBLIC, AND CHARITABLE UNDERTAKINGS: / INDEED IN EVERY SENSE A PHILANTHROPIST, A PATRIOT, AND A CHRISTIAN. / THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THIS MONUMENT WAS LAID BY / THE LORD LIEUTENANT OF DENBIGHSHIRE, / ON THE 22ND DECEMBER 1874: / THE STATUE WAS UNVEILED BY / SIR WILLIAM GRENVILLE WILLIAMS. BART.. OF BODELWYDDAN. / ON THE 23RD NOVEMBER 1876.
Inscriptions below bronze relief panel: MERCY INTERCEDING WITH JUSTICE
Inscription below bronze relief panel: HEALING THE SICK
Inscription below bronze relief panel: FEEDING THE HUNGRY
Related works : Two fountains in the public garden next to the statue. Given by Dr. Pierce to mark Queen Victoria's jubilee in 1887. See DENBIGH003 and DENBIGH004.
PMSA recording information