Type Clock Tower
Combined clock tower, horse trough and drinking fountain. (Clock made by R.G. Joyce, Whitchurch). Tower is completed with a dome.At each corner of tower on a level with the clock are four dragons, each holding a different coat of arms. Below the clock on the front (north) is a carved relief of Peers. The county arms are carved below the clock and below this is a carved dolphin (original source of water) above the trough. Statues of St. David and St. George are to the left and right of the clock on the north face of the tower. Clock is also on the rear (south face) of the tower. Panel with inscription below clock. Access to tower via door at rear of tower. Borough arms carved above door.
In February 1883 it was decided to mark his lifetime of service by erecting a suitable monument in the centre of Ruthin. The chairman of the committee was Colonel Cornwallis West who decided on the design of the monument and chose the architect. The cost of the monument was £397.6s whilst the clock, value £40, was the gift of Joseph Peers.
NB Ruthin is due to be resurveyed by Cadw and the Peers Monument will be considered for listing at this time.
Joseph Peers (1800-1884) was still in office as Clerk of the Peace for the county of Denbigh in 1883 at the age of eighty years. He had served in this capacity for over fifty years.
Carved below clock on north face of tower: EX HOC MOMENTO / PENDET AETERNITAS
Carved on left side of clock: 18
Carved on right side of clock: 83
Carved below statue of St David on right side of clock: S DAVID
Carved below statue of St George on left side of clock: ST GEORGE
Incised in recessed panel below clock at rear of tower: ERECTED A.D. 1883 / BY HIS MANY FRIENDS TO / COMMEMORATE THE PRIVATE / WORTH AND PUBLIC SERVICE OF / JOSEPH PEERS / AN HONOURED INHABITANT / OF THIS TOWN WHO HAS FOR / THE LAST FIFTY YEARS FILLED / THE OFFICE OF / CLERK OF THE PEACE / FOR THE COUNTY OF DENBIGH
PMSA recording information