Memorial to victims of shipwreck
Unmoulded stone with chamfered top on granite base. Inscription in recessed panel on front of stone. Set on concrete surround within iron railings. Overlooks Red Wharf Bay.
The steam clipper 'The Royal Charter' sailed from Melbourne, Australia, bound for Liverpool on 26 August 1859 with 324 passenters and a crew of 103. The ship hit rocks off the coast of Anglesey during a storm on 26 October with the loss of over 400 lives.
Incised on smooth stone in recessed panel on front face: THIS MEMORIAL STONE / COMMEMORATES / THE LOSS / OF THE STEAM CLIPPER / ROYAL CHARTER / WHICH WAS WRECKED / ON THE ROCKS NEARBY / DURING THE HURRICANE / OF 26 OCTOBER 1859 / WHEN OVER 400 PERSONS / PERISHED / ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION 1905
(NB 1905 may be 1935. Number is very worn)
Related works : Memorial in nearby Llanallgo Churchyard to victims of shipwreck. Obelisk. Charles Dickens helped to raise money for memorial. Story of his trip to parish following shipwreck in the first chapter of his book 'The Uncommercial Traveller'
PMSA recording information