Morris Memorial Tablet
Slate slab bolted to stone steps
Erected by The Honourable Society of the Cymmrodorion in 1944.
The three Morris brothers were Lewis 1701-1765, Richard 1703-1779 and William 1705-1763. Described as poets, historians, antiquarians, printers and publishers, surveyors, editors of the 1746 and 1752 Bible. Lewis was Royal Surveyor of mines, Richard was Chief-Secretary to the Admiralty and founder of the Society of Cymmrodorion, William was Excise Officer at Holyhead.
Incised into slate: COFEB MORYSIAID MON / The Morris Memorial / LEWIS MORRIS 1701-65 / RICHARD MORRIS 1703-79 / WILLIAM MORRIS 1705-63 / GWYR O AMRYFAL DDONIAU / Men of diverse talents / NODDWYR LLENYDDIAETH CYMRU / Patrons of Welsh Literature / SYLFAENWYR Y CYMMRODORION / Founders of the Cymmrodorion Society / YN LLUNDAIN 1751 in London / Y TYDDYN HWN OEDD EU CARTREF / This farm was their home / This tablet was erected by the Honourable / Society of the Cymmrodorion in the year 1944
Related works : See ANGLESEY006 for details of the Memorial Cross to the brothers.
PMSA recording information