Hywel Dda Memorial - Cofeb Hywel Dda
Type Other , Sculpture
'The Memorial stands on the site formerly occupied by the cattle market, and is about three-quarters of an acre in size. It is divided into six small gardens separated by stone walls and hedges. Each garden has a distinct planting scheme and its own tree to represent one aspect of the Law - Society and Status, Crime and Tort, Women, Contract, the King and Court, and Property. Extracts from the laws have been cut into slate plaques illustrated with champleve enamel and mounted on the walls. The south side of the Memorial is a paved area containing pictures made in multi-coloured brick to illustrate the arrival of representatives of different parts of Wales at the conference called by Hywel.'
Information at site: The building and gardens and all the art works were designed by artists living and working in Wales. The building was designed by the Pryse Edwards Partnership and the builders were A. Walters & Son. The memorial was built with support from Carmarthen District Council, Dyfed County Council, Wales Tourist Board, Manpower Services Commission, Whitland Town Council, Whitland Mart Committee, Welsh Arts Council and West Wales Association for the Arts.
Hywel was born towards the end of the 9th century. By 904 through marriage to Elen, the daughter of Llywarch Hen, he was king over all south west Wales and by 942 he ruled the north of the country as well. Various mediaeval law books suggest that at this stage Hywel turned his attention to codifying the various traditions of the celtic law then operative in Wales and called a meeting at 'The White House on the Taf in Dyfed). The subsequent codification formed the basis of law until the Act of Union in 1536.
PMSA recording information