Eisteddfod Commemorative Stone
Circular slate tablet with semi-circular Welsh and English inscriptions and celtic decoration, fixed to a large slab of stone.
The planners were Dr. J. Geraint Jenkins and Jack Arnell. The work was sponsored by Bwrdd Croeso Cymru, Bwrdd Datblygu Cymru Wledig, Cardigan Council, Newport Council, National Eisteddfod. The stone was unveiled in October 1993 by Rev. John Gwilym Jones (Arch Druid).
Erected to commemorate the first Eisteddfod held at Cardigan Castle in 1176. This was hosted by Lord Rhys ap Gruffyd. Having conquered Cardigan for the Welsh in 1165, Lord Rhys demolished the castle and rebuilt it in stone. To celebrate its completion in 1176, he hosted a feast of poetry and music and this became known as being the first Welsh Eisteddfod .
Incised on slate tablet, inside celtic decoration, above central cross: Yma yn 1176 Oechreuwyd Traddodiad Eisteddfodd Cymru. / Fny Nghastell Aberteifi cynhaliwyd gwyl fawr o farddoniaeth / a cherdd wedi ei noddi gan yr Arglwydd Rhys, cefnogwr hael y celfyddydau.
Incised on slate tablet, inside celtic decoration, below central cross: Here in 1176 the tradition of the / Welsh Eisteddfod began. In Cardigan Castle / a grand feast of poetry and music was sponsored and / hosted by the Lord Rhys, a generous patron of the Arts.
PMSA recording information