Statue of David Davies
Bronze statue on square granite pedestal. Standing bronze male figure with left foot forward, studying unfurled plans of his dock and railway development at Barry.
NB: Since inspection the statue has been repaired and cleaned. It was 'unveiled' in May 2001 by Lord Davies of Llandinam. The work was organised and funded by Associated British Ports. The renovation of the statue marked the fifth anniversary of the Waterfront Barry regeneration scheme by Associated British Ports and the Welsh Development Agency.
David Davies (1818-1890) was a self-made engineer, industrialist and entrepreneur. He was born in Llandinam and started work as a sawyer. His first public contract was to construct the approach road to Llandinam Bridge and this launched his career as a civil engineer. He built some of the first railway lines in Wales and then went into coal production, opening mines in the Rhondda Valley. He later chaired the Ocean Coal Company. It was this venture and the inability of Bute Docks at Cardiff to handle the quantities of coal that led to plans for a new dock at Barry together with the necessary railway connections. Davies was Liberal MP for Cardigan district from 1874-1877, he also served as a Governor and first Treasurer to the University College of Wales after it opened at Aberystwyth in 1872. 'Davies yr Ocean' did not leave Llandinam and served as a Sunday School teacher and as deacon at the Calvinist Methodist chapel.
Raised stone inscription on south face of pedestal: DAVID DAVIES / BORN 1818 / DIED 1890
Raised stone inscription on north face of pedestal: DEPUTY CHAIRMAN / AND / CHIEF PROMOTER / OF THE / BARRY DOCK / AND / RAILWAY COMPANY
Related works : A contemporary copy of this statue exists at Llandinam. See POWYS035.
PMSA recording information