Granite fountain on stepped pedestal. Upper part of fountain is polished granite with four pointed arch openings into fountain. Shaped 'roof' surmounted by iron finial.
The Rowland family were local benefactors and the fountain was commissioned by Mrs. Rowland, c.1863.
Information from Neath Library: 'John Henry Rowland, JP, of Ffrwd Dwryfelin, had been a leading figure in Neath banking circles. He also served as a local magistrate, a harbour commissioner and High Sheriff of the county. He served as Mayor of Neath on four separate occasions.'
Inscription on white stone set into front of fountain; NB very indistinct and difficult to read. The only decipherable words are: FOUNTAIN / ERECTED BY
An information sheet from the local library suggests that the inscription reads: DRINKING FOUNTAIN. THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY MRS ROWLAND OF THIS TOWN, WIFE OF JOHN ROWLAND, BANKER 1863
PMSA recording information