Type Clock Tower
Four-faced clock in a slate-hung and slate-capped bell-turret topped by weathervane. Set in centre of town hall roof. The town hall itself was built in 1748 to replace an earlier Guildhall which previously stood in the middle of Broad Street. In 1828 the old upper storey was taken down and rebuilt to provide more spacious accommodation for quarter sessions at that time still held in Montgomery.
The Town Hall is listed Grade II*.
The clock was erected in 1921 on the town hall in memory of a former mayor, Nicholas Watson Fairles-Humphreys
Stone tablet set in wall on front of Town Hall: THE CLOCK ON THIS TOWN HALL / WAS ERECTED IN THE YEAR 1921 / TO THE MEMORY OF / ALDERMAN NICHOLAS WATSON / FAIRLES-HUMPHREYS, / FIFTEEN TIMES MAYOR OF THE / BOROUGH AND WAS PRESENTED / TO THE TOWN AS A TOKEN OF / RESPECT AND REGARD FOR THE / LATE ALDERMAN BY ONE / OF HIS MANY FRIENDS
PMSA recording information