Statue of William Thomas
Bronze standing statue of William Thomas on polished granite pedestal. Figure is in mayoral regalia, right hand holding scroll, left arm flexed with hand holding edge of robe. Left foot slightly forrward. Further scroll on ground by statue's right foot. Inscription on front face of pedestal with two small bronze round reliefs, both with Latin inscription.
The statue was erected by public subscription and was unveiled by Councillor Gwilym Morgan, Mayor of Swansea, in September 1906. William Thomas was present at the unveiling of his own statue.
William Thomas (1816-1909) was Mayor of Swansea 1877-78, and was a pioneer of the Open Spaces Movement. He secured the area of Victoria Park as open space.
Inscription on front face of pedestal: WILLIAM THOMAS, ESQ., J.P., / OF LAN, / MAYOR OF THIS BOROUGH / 1877 1878. / PIONEER - CHAMPION / OF / OPEN SPACES. / ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION.
(First line, letters are painted gold, the rest in black)
PMSA recording information