National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009



Type Cross

     The cross was erected using the base of the original cross which is shown standing in the Square in Speed's map of 1611. The cross was restored c.1888 when the shaft and head were lengthened and the base steps increased in size in December 1888. The four carved figures missing from the niches were St. Thomas, St. Mary, St. Michael and St. Cenhadlon.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Wall, H. Sculptor

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Whole work Stone 305cm high approx.

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • Broken, missing parts
  • None
Road St. Thomas' Square
Precise location Middle of roundabout
A-Z ref None
OS ref SO504124
Date of design None
Year of unveiling c.1888
Unveiling details Restored c.1888
Commissioned by Mr. Crompton-Roberts, Drybridge House, Monmouth
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results