Statue of St. Winefride
Statue of St. Winefride holding model of chapel in left hand, and crook in right hand.
The well marks the site of the reputed martyrdom and miraculous restoration to life of St. Winefride early in the 7th century.
Incised around base of statue (NB Inscription eroded quite badly): PRAY FOR PETER AND MARY ANNE BROWN
Related works : Statue of St. Winefrid in the well chamber. She holds a crook in her left hand marking her statue as an abbess), and a palm (marking her martyrdom) in her right hand. The statue (c. 1886) is by Edmund Kirby, executed by R.L. Boulton of Cheltenham.
PMSA recording information