Statue of Sir William T. Lewis (Lord Merthyr)
Bronze standing figure of bearded Lord Merthyr on a tall granite square pedestal with cornice. Left leg slightly forward. He is holding an unrolled parchment in left hand and dividers in right hand. Hands are loosely clasped across chest. Behind the statue a cloak is draped over a small pillar and there is a book and a miner's lamp at his feet on the left-hand side. Bronze heraldic plaque to front.
The work was erected by public subscription.
Sir William Thomas Lewis (1837-1914) was born in Merthyr Tydfil. His father was the chief engineer at the Plymouth Works where William Thomas was apprenticed on leaving school. At the age of 18, the Marquis of Bute appointed him Assistant Engineer for the Bute Estate mineral undertakings in the Merthyr District and in a short time he became Chief Engineer. Later he opened pits of his own in the Rhondda Valley and became a recognised authority on the coal trade. In 1864 he married Anne, daughter of William Rees, colliery owner of Aberdare. She was also the grand-daughter, through her mother, of Robert and Lucy Thomas of Waunywyllt. William Thomas Lewis was knighted in 1885, made a freeman of Merthyr Tydfil in 1908 and was raised to the peerage in 1911. He made many gifts to Merthyr Tydfil and was one of the founders of Merthyr General Hospital.
Incised on front face of pedestal: SIR W. T. LEWIS BART / 1900
Incised on upper part of pedestal on right-hand side: PERSEVERANCE
Incised on upper part of pedestal on left-hand side: SYMPATHY
Incised on rear of pedestal: ERECTED BY THE VOLUNTARY SUB / SCRIPTIONS OF FRIENDS AND ADMIRERS / OF SIR WILLIAM THOMAS LEWIS BART / TO COMMEMORATE IN HIS NATIVE TOWN AND / ON THE SITE OF HIS BENEFICENCE TO / SUFFERING HUMANITY THEIR SATISFACTION / WITH THE HONOUR OF BARONETCY CONFERRED / UPON HIM BY HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN / IN RECOGNITION OF HIS INVALUABLE SERVICES / IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE SOUTH WALES / MINERAL FIELD THE CONSTRUCTION OF / RAILWAYS AND DOCKS AND OTHER WORKS / AND ALSO HIS UNTIRING EFFORTS FOR MORE / THAN A QUARTER OF A CENTURY IN THE IM / PROVEMENT OF THE RELATIONS BETWEEN THE / EMPLOYER AND EMPLOYED BY THE PREVENTION / OF DISPUTES AND STRIKES PRINCIPALLY / ACHIEVED THROUGH THE ESTABLISHMENT / OF A JOINT PARLIAMENT OF COAL OWNERS AND / REPRESENTATIVES OF THE WORKING COLLIERS
Related works : There is a cast of this work at Aberdare; see RCT016
PMSA recording information