National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Town Clock


Type Clock Tower

     Taken from CADW report: 'Clock is wholly of cast iron construction, the clock itself standing on a giant Tuscan column... .. Tall square base, the sides with moulded ribs enclosing geometrical compartments, the central one with inscriptions .. Shaft of giant tapering column has two narrow bands, and broad moulded capital. Large clock-case of iron with cardinal faces, Roman numerals to dials, and decorative spandrels. Ogee roof to clock with weathervane above. Clock is set in small square enclosure with 20th century walls and rails.' Clock looks as if it has been repainted fairly recently and is now cream and brick red with the moulded ribs and inscriptions in gold. There is also a small relief-portrait figure of Wellington above his inscription.
     Information from CADW report: A committee to erect a clock in Tredegar had been set up by Mrs. R.P. Davis, wife of the Tredegar Ironworks manager. The clock was to be illuminated by gas and be prominent in order to be viewed by ironworkers and other townspeople day and night. The cost of the clock was £1000; Mr. R.P. Davis contributed £400 whilst a public bazaar organised by his wife raised £500 and the rest was raised by public subscription. The foundations were dug in autumn 1858 and the clock was finished in June 1859, two years after the death of Mrs. Davis.


Raised letters on south side of clock: PRESENTED / TO / THE TOWN OF / TREDEGAR / FROM THE / PROCEEDS / OF A BAZAAR / PROMOTED / BY THE LATE / MRS R P DAVIS / ERECTED 1858 Raised letters on west side of clock: WELLINGTON / ENGLANDS HERO Raised letters on north side of clock: DIEU ET / MON DROIT

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Joyce & Co., Whitchurch, J.B. Other
Jordan, Charles Foundry

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Clock Cast-iron 2134cm high

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • Other
  • None
Road The Circle
Precise location Located in centre of The Circle
A-Z ref None
OS ref SO141088
Date of design 1858-59
Year of unveiling 1859
Unveiling details 1859
Commissioned by Mrs R.P. Davis
Duty of care None
Listing status II*
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results