Statue of Nelson
CADW report: 'Square battered chamber built of rubble masonry with limestone dressings and roof platform surmounted by an octagonal plinth and a statue of Lord Nelson in naval uniform looking out over the Menai Strait. Chamber with tapering, square headed doorway in N face and square headed narrow rectangular doorway in NNE face of octagonal plinth, both with studded plank doors. Upper door leads out on to railed platform with 3 cast iron balusters each side.'
CADW report: 'Lord Clarence Paget, a son of the first Marquess of Anglesey, was a sailor and whilst secretary to the Navy had initiated the Naval Reserve Force. In 1853 he purchased Plas Llanfair and in 1873 had executed the statue of Lord Nelson, to commemorate his death at Trafalgar in 1805. The statue was erected at the waters edge below the Plas as a landmark for mariners.'
Erected to commemorate Nelson's death at Trafalgar in 1805.
Incised on front of circular base of statue: NELSON
Inscription on slate panel inset on front of chamber: ENGLAND / EXPECTS THAT / EVERY MAN / WILL DO HIS / DUTY
Inscription on slate panel on west face of chamber: FELL / AT / TRAFALGAR / 1805
Inscription on slate panel on east face of chamber: A / LADDWYD / YN / TRAFALGAR / 1805
Related works : See ANGLESEY009: The Anglesey Column
PMSA recording information