Centre-piece of ornamental stone fountain with one round outer basin. According to the 1953 Cadw report, there were originally two basins. Inscription also missing.
The fountain was erected to celebrate the completion of Caernarfon Water Works and the acquiring of clean water to the town following the cholera epidemic in 1866 when around 100 townspeople died. The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) had been invited to the official opening ceremony of the waterworks and also turned on the water supply to the fountain.
Inscription now missing but Cadw report states: This fountain was opened April 25th 1888 by H.R.H. Albert Edward Prince of Wales on the occasion of the completion of the Carnarvon Waterworks.
(NB Presumably this should read 1868)
PMSA recording information