Allegories of Study and Rhetoric
Type Sculpture , Statue
Two life-sized stone figures representing Study and Rhetoric; the one on the right of the door is holding an open book. The model for the figures was William Taylor's wife.
The building was constructed in two stages; the northern section was designed as the Free Library, Museum and School of Arts Building in 1880-82 by James, Seward and Thomas, architects of Cardiff. The larger south extension was designed by Edwin Seward (Seward and Thomas) with William Taylor, sculptor. The extension was opened by the Prince of Wales in June 1896. The Schools of Science and Arts transferred to the university in 1890, and the museum contents transferred to the National Museum of Wales in 1923. The building was recently converted to house the Centre for Visual Arts but closed to the public in November 2000.
Related works : See CARDIFF060: Bust of Pallas Athena; CARDIFF062: Allegories of Literature, Calligraphy and Printing.
PMSA recording information