National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009



Type Fountain

     Four sided granite fountain on a base of local stone. Bowls on two sides, inscriptions in English and Welsh on other two sides. Set within iron railings.
     Howel Gwyn was a generous benefactor to the village of Alltwen. The proposal to erect the fountain to his memory originated with Mr. David Smith, 'was readily adopted by all' and a local committee was formed. The fountain was unveiled by Mrs. Gwyn in October 1895.
     Howel Gwyn (1806-1888) came from a family of wealthy Breconshire solicitors. He was educated at Oxford University and became a Conservative member of Parliament, first for Falmouth and later for Brecon. He later became sheriff of three Welsh counties, and both town councillor and Mayor of Neath on two occasions. He was a noted local benefactor providing several schools, the church of St. Matthew on his estate at Dyffryn and also donated land for both building and parks to the town. He took an active interest in the administration of the Poor Laws and presided over the Neath Board of Guardians for many years.


Incised in gold painted letters on one side of fountain: THIS / FOUNTAIN / WAS ERECTED BY / THE INHABITANTS OF / ALLTWEN AND DISTRICT / IN MEMORY OF THE LATE / HOWEL GWYN ESQ. J.P.D.L. / DYFFRYN. / NEATH. / SEPT. 4TH 1895. Incised in gold painted letters on other side of fountain: ADAILADWYD / Y FFYNNONELL / HON GAN BRESWYLWYR / ALLTWEN A'R GYMYDOGAETH / ER COF AM Y DIWEDDAR / HOWEL GWYN YSW. J.P.D.L. / DYFFRYN. / NEATH. SEPT. 4TH 1895.

Related works : See NPT004: Statue of Howel Gwyn in Neath

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Known, Not ---

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Fountain Red and grey Aberdeen granite 366cm high approx

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Biological growth
Structural condition
  • Broken, missing parts
  • Broken, missing parts
  • None
  • None
Road Minor road through village
Precise location Elevated site in centre of village, near pub and rugby club
A-Z ref None
OS ref SN725034
Date of design 1895
Year of unveiling 1895
Unveiling details Unveiled on 19 October 1895
Commissioned by Local committee
Duty of care None
Listing status Not listed
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results