National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Clock Tower


Type Clock Tower

     Taken from Cadw report: 'High Victorian Gothic tall square tower with chamfered angles; rubble with some freestone dressings. Pyramidal slate roof in 2 stages with open bellcote and weathervane; pyramidal roof lucarnes to each face. Moulded eaves with machicolations. Round clock faces to each side set in pointed arched frames with linked hoodmoulds and stringcourse. Scalloped corbels to angles with 3 trefoils between; 2 arrowslits to each face. Heraldic band with set-offs below and diagonal buttresses with punched trefoil gablets. Double cusped arched openings to N and S sides with hood mouldings and nook shafts; blocked to S, boarded double doors to N.'
     Cadw report: 'It originated in a legacy by Captain Brown for a clock for the church tower. This idea was expanded by the executors to include a town clock, public hall and corn exchange but only the former was built; cost £600.'

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Haddon, J.C. Architect

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Tower Stone 1371cm high approx

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • Other
  • None
Road Broad Street
Precise location At junction with Lion Street
A-Z ref None
OS ref SO229424
Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1884
Unveiling details 1884
Commissioned by Captain Brown
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results