Alderman Proctor's drinking fountain
On an inset stone panel on the north side of the fountain in lead gothic capital letters: ERECTED BY THOMAS PROCTOR, OF BRISTOL, TO/ RECORD THE GIFT OF CERTAIN RIGHTS OVER CLIFTON DOWN/MADE TO THE CITIZENS BY THE SOCIETY OF MERCHANT VENTURERS/UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF THE CLIFTON AND DURDHAM DOWNS ACTS/OF PARLIAMENT 1861 WHEREBY THE ENJOYMENT OF THESE DOWNS/IS PRESERVED TO THE CITIZENS OF BRISTOL FOREVER/
On a bronze plaque in raised roman lettering in capitals and upper and lower case - each line centred: CITY OF BRISTOL . SOCIETY OF MERCHANT VENTURERS . COUNTY OF AVON/Resting and refurbishment/of/ALDERMAN PROCOTOR'S DRINKING FOUNTAIN/To commemorate its re-opening/by/THE Rt.Hon.THE LORD MAYOR OF BRISTOL/COUNCILLOR C.D.M.B.ALDERSON/
and/THE CHAIRMAN OF AVON COUNTY COUNCIL/COUNCILLOR W.FOWLER/
1st May 1988/ENGINEER FOR THE WORKS N.W.LEE B.Sc.C.ENG.FICE COUNTY ENGINEER AND SURVEYOR/CONTRACTOR H.MEALING AND SON/
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.