Arms of Queen Adelaide
Built in 1820, as a boarding house, it was at first run by James Fisher and then by Richard Liddell. After 1827, when the Duchess of Clarence stayed there for a few days Liddell changed the name to Clarence Hotel and added the Royal Coat of Arms to the porch after Adelaide became the wife of William IV and hence the Queen. The building later served as a magistrates' office and a police barrack. Since the Countryside Commission took over in 1974 the arms and the fine ironwork have been well preserved.
|Part of work||Material||Dimensions|
|Coat of arms||Stone||None|
PMSA recording information
|General condition||Don't know|
|Precise location||On the porch of the Countryside Commission that was John Dower House|
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.
|Date of design||None|
|Year of unveiling||c.1827|
|Commissioned by||Richard Liddell|
|Duty of care||Counrtyside Commission|
|Listing status||Don't know|
|At risk?||Not at risk|