National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009



Type Fountain

     Large four legged vaulted fountain with an urn at its pinnacle. Around its base is a flower bed.
     The original was sculpted and carved by Pieroni with figures of the Four Seasons around the base and an ornamental vase on the pinacle. This stood for 10 or 20 years before the urn was taken down and transferred to Vivtoria Park (near the Gravel Walk entrance). The Four Seasons became the property of a Mr Williams of Bladud Villa, Entry Hill. The fountain was removed from Stall Street to Terrace Island at a cost of £66,000 (also damaged in the move to a cost of a further £4000). Given a face-lift in 1977 paid for by the Bath Evening Chronicle then fell into disuse when a germ entered the water system. Now the fountain is mains fed but turned off in the winter.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Pieroni, Stafano Valerio Designer
Bickford, John Stonemason

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Urn cast 100cm high
Four columns Bath stone 300cm high approx
Circular base Bath stone 1500cm diameter

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
  • Accretions
Structural condition
  • Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
  • None
Road Terrace Walk Island
Precise location Junction York Street and Pierrepoint Street
A-Z ref 4C 92
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design 1859
Year of unveiling c1859
Unveiling details c1859
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status Don't know
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results