National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Uppingham War Memorial


Type War Memorial

     The memorial comprises a pillar surmounting a pedestal raised on three hexagonal steps, on a concrete landing set into the grass at the south-western corner of the graveyard, overlooking London Road and opposite Spring Back Way. The pillar is crowned with a tabernacle having a scallop-headed niche on each of its four faces. The niche on the front (west) face contains a carving of Christ on the Cross flanked by the Virgin and St John the Evangelist, while the rear (east) face contains a seated Virgin and Child. The left (north) niche has St Michael, while the right (south) has St George, each shown killing their respective dragons.


- on metal plaque on front (W) face of pedestal: IN MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / UPPINGHAM / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1919 - on metal plaques on remaining 3 sides, the names of the dead, 14 per plaque, in alphabetical order, initials and surnames only - inscribed into stone of right (S) vertical face of uppermost hexagonal step: WORLD WAR / 1939 - 1945 - on vertical face of next step down, 10 names arranged as before

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Comper, John Ninian Architect
unknown, *** Sculptor

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
War memorial Clipsham stone h. 594 cm (est)

PMSA recording information

General condition Fair
Surface condition
Structural condition
  • Replaced parts
  • None
Road London Road
Precise location In the SW corner of the graveyard of SS. Peter and Paul parish church
A-Z ref 25 C6 (1)
OS ref SP866995
Date of design 1919-1920
Year of unveiling None
Unveiling details Monday 19 July 1920
Commissioned by Uppingham War Memorial Committee
Duty of care None
Listing status Don't know
At risk? Not at risk

‹‹ Back to search results