Monument to Queen Victoria
Seated, draped portrait statue of Queen Victoria holding an orb and sceptre.
The statue was commissioned to commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee of 1897 and was placed on the 'Jubilee Block,' which itself was intended to commemorate the jubilee, as part of the Royal Infirmary reconstruction scheme. The memorial stone of the Jubilee Block was laid by the Prince of Wales on 24 April 1907, and the building was opened on 7 July 1914 by King George V. The statue was erected at a later date, probably in the same year. Miller's elevation drawing, of August 1909, shows the position of the statue. Immediately below the statue the stonework is carved with two wreaths with lion masks and pairs of torches. These were probably modelled by Hodge together with the masks on the capitals of the pilasters across the façade.(1)
In intaglio Roman lettering on plaque below statue: THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE / THE 63 YEARS ILLUSTRIOUS REIGN OF / QUEEN VICTORIA / THE WORK WAS COMMENCED IN THE / YEAR 1905 AND COMPLETED IN 1915
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.