Allegorical Female Figure and Related Decorative Carving
The sculpture scheme comprises Corinthian capitals flanking the fourth storey windows at the centre of the west façade, and incorporates rams heads and two half-length, draped human figures with attributes representing Science (?) and Art (palette and brushes). Above these are five heraldic shields representing (L to R):
England, U.S.A., Scotland, London (?) and Ireland. Directly above these is a shield carved with the Glasgow Coat of Arms, and at attic level is a standing, draped female figure holding a hank of yarn, probably representing the textile industry
Carpet manufacturer John Templeton commissioned William Leiper to design an architecturally distinguished façade for the Glasgow Green (west) façade of his new carpet factory. The design is based on the Doge's Palace, Venice, and was built with a variety of polychrome materials such as glazed terracotta, polychrome glazed bricks, mosaic, Ruabon brick, and red sandstone. As such it is regarded as one of the finest polychrome brick buildings in the world. In 1889, due to the engineer's refusal to tie the structure to the steel frame of the factory, the façade collapsed after being caught by a gust of wind, killing several girls working in the adjacent weaving sheds. Although the building bears the date 1890, the reconstruction was completed in 1892
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.