Type War Memorial , War Memorial
A large rough-hewn rock with a white marble slab set into the east side, facing the road. On this slab are the dedication and lists of names commemorated from the Afghan and South African campaigns. The letters are cut from slate (lead?) and applied. There are eight columns of names broken up into groups, with lines between. The first two groups contain the names of officers and are headed Afghan Campaign and South African Campaign. Subsequent groups are headed AFN. or S.A.. In total there are about 380 names. On either side of the marble slab are representations of weapons. They look at a distance like copper or bronze, but also appear to be coated over with bronze paint and are more likely iron painted in bronze paint. On the left are a group of Zulu weapons: a tall pointed shield in front of long and short throwing and stabbing spears, small-headed axes, bows, arrows and clubs. To the right are a group of Afghan weapons: three small, round studded shields, long-handled axes with half-moon shaped blades, scimitars, two powder horns and a pouch (for shot?), a flintlock pistol, short and long-barrelled muskets and spears. The groups are very realistic-looking piles of weapons reasting against the monument.
The rock itself is constructed from several sections: three at the base, two in the middle, with the pointed top in a single piece.
On white marble slab on east side, applied slate letters:
ERECTED BY THE OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS, AND MEN OF THE ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY, / AS A MEMORIAL OF THEIR COMRADES OF ALL RANKS, / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN SOUTH AFRICA AND AFGHANISTAN IN 1877 . . . 81.
Followed by eight columns of names in slate letters. Some letters broken or missing.
PMSA recording information