Type Medallion , Sculpture
Roundel: relief of a semi-draped seated female figure on the left, with another standing on the right, with two indeterminate figures behind.
Relief frieze round three bay windows at back of house, above the windows, with a roundel in the centre of each with a winged griffin on either side. There is the same decoration on the outer two, the middle one is different.
Outer two: male and female figure, she is holding a boar carcass.
Middle one: three figures in action but unable to see what they are doing. Four round swirls of flowers and leaves on either side. Painted in off-white, paint is peeling. The reliefs are quite indistinct, possibly because of layers of paint.
Built for John Julius Angerstein, a founder of Lloyds of London, in 1774. Later acquired by Sir Alfred Yarrow, a shipbuilder, in 1896. Sold it in 1923 and it became a convent until 1967. The London Borough of Greenwich bought it and the next door Kidbrooke House in 1967. It became the Woodlands Art Gallery and the local history library, with Kidbrooke House as a community centre.(1)
The house has been altered several times but the north facade, where the reliefs are, is original with the bay windows added about 1820. Angerstein was a merchant whose collection of paintings was bought in 1824 to form the basis of the proposed National Gallery.
Has statue on back in a niche and a roundel.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.