National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Ashby-Fenwick Memorial Fountain


Type Fountain

     Four sided vase shaped abstract sculpture possibly acting as a base for a piece of statuary since removed. Four stone basins sit at each side of the sculpture at the foot and the whole rests on a stone rectangular base.
     Originally sculplture - classical water carrier by Mr Fritz Roselieb gold medallist of the Royal Academy and of the London and City Guilds and designer of the Wilfred Lawson Memorial at Cockermouth (1)
     Harold Pollard Ashby 1809-1892 Artist. Exhibited at Royal Academy 1835-65; Royal Academy of Arts. Lived Wandlebank 1837-84 and Mill cottage (later All Saints Vicarage) 1892. Father in law of Robert Bloomfield Fenwick Wimbledon Local board 1860-90 Robert Bloomfield Fenwick His name is carved on the wooden screen in All Saints Church (2) Attached to Bank of England , but from 1874 manager of Pelton Colliery, Durham. He was director of the East London Water Works Company and of the Mitcham and Wimbledon Gas company (1)


On north side of sculpture: Harry Pollard Ashby Born 1809/Lived at Wandle Park 1857 -1881/Died 1892 Wandle Cottage/now All Saints Vicarage/ He was a fellow worker with John Constable/ a member of Wimbledon Local Board 1860 - 1890/ the first advocate of open spaces for recreation in this town/As an earnest churchman he took an active part in the formation of All Saints Parish. Same side, below main inscription: Private subscription/ memory Henry Pollard Ashby/ and his son in law/Robert Bloomfield Fenwick/ who spared no effort to improve the condition of those amongst whom they dwelt. On East side of sculpture beneath a stone oval medallion: 'Ashby' On South side of sculpture: Robert Bloomfield Fenwick/born 1835 at Monart Rectory Co. Wexford/Lived at Wandle Park 1867 - 1895/died at Great Bardfield Essex 1897/ He was an alderman of Surrey County Council 1889 - 1895 and a justice of the peace/through his influence and generosity All Saints Parish was founded and his church erected/ he built and endowed the Hubert Road Institute

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Not known, None Sculptor

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
sculpture marble 10' x 5' approx.
basins marble None
base Portland stone None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Poor
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
  • Biological growth
  • Accretions
Structural condition
  • Broken, missing parts
  • Other
  • Graffiti
Road Wandle Park, off Merton High Street
Precise location West side of park
A-Z ref p. 108, B7
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1911
Unveiling details June 17th 1911
Commissioned by None
Duty of care National Trust
Listing status Not listed
At risk? At Risk

‹‹ Back to search results