16 Lead Urns
16 open urns (used as flower pot holders) with handles of curling leaf forms surmounted by a female figure sitting on the urn's upper edge. Drum decorated with low relief design of curling leaves and 2 grinning male satyr heads. Lower side of drum scalloped, tapering to a narrow neck and circular base. Positioned in various parts of the Privy Garden at the top and base of several flights of steps.
14 urns were removed to Windsor in 1829, then returned to Hampton Court in 1947. Fifteen in all were discovered at Hampton Court in 1994 and a new one was cast by the Bulbeck Foundry to make up the original set.
Detailed report on condition carried out in March 1998 by Rupert Harris Metalwork Conservation and one urn restored.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.