National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Acton Park Obelisk


Type Shaft

     see inscription. Facts in inscription disputed by Dr Harper Smith (local historian) Says obelisk appears on map of Acton house and was moved by a devloper. Derwentwater legends all suspect. Acton House (Dewentwater House) built 1806 Acton enclosed 1839


Plaque on base: This monument was designed a a memorial of James Radcliffe Earl of Derwentwater. One of the leaders of the Rebellion of 1715 who was taken prisoner at The Battle of Preston tried in Westminster - Halland beheaded on Tower Hill February 24 - 1716 it was erected by Lady Derwentwater in the grounds of the Mansion in Horn Lane Action formerly General Skippons and afterwards known as - Derwntwater House at which house she was at the time residing. Messrs F A and C J Kerven the owners of Derwentwater House having given the Monument to the council it was moved and - erected by tem on this site in January 1904. A W King J P Chairman of the Council

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Not known, None ---

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
obelisk stone None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • No damage
Structural condition
  • None
  • Graffiti
Road South of East Churchfield Road
Precise location North end corner of Acton Park
A-Z ref None
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1904
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by Lady Derwentwater
Duty of care Acton Urban district Counci;
Listing status Don't know
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results