ASHTON MARKET CROSS
Base of ancient cross on stone base surmounted by ball finial.
The first reference to Ashton market cross comes from local marriage registers of 1854.(1) The ancient cross was replaced in 1763 or 1764 by an oak shaft on a stone base and steps, surmounted by sphere and crown. This probably stood slightly to the south of the site of the old cross. About 1798 a stone cross was erected in its place, the remains of which can now be seen in Stamford Park. The last cross was removed in 1829.(2)
Front: Erected/by Thos Walker/Japh Knight/[illeg] Lees/[illeg]
Related works : Copy of cross base stands in town centre.
PMSA recording information