A simple sandstone base supports the shaft which is carved with the letters of the alphabet on its southern side. The same side also has several vertical scores that run the length of the shaft on its left which suggest some form of carved decoration or recess.
The site of the stone marks the place where the Old Town Hall stood until its demolition in the 1960s. It was demolished despite a public campaign to save it. The alphabet stone was a door lintel to a lock-up in the Old Town Hall, built 1755, and it is believed that the letters of the alphabet were used to test literacy. There is no letter J because this letter was not part of the alphabet at this time.
On front, south side of the shaft are three columns of letters of the alphabet in Roman type carved into the stone. The letters are on their side: ABCDEFGHI/KLMNOPQRSTUV/WXYZ
PMSA recording information