Victoria Bridge Stones
Type Marker , Marker
Two inscribed stones set one on top of the other.
The area now occupied by Port Sunlight village was original crossed by numerous tidal creeks. In order to give direct access to the New Chester Road, a bridge was constructed in 1897. With a span of 100 feet, it was constructed of re-inforced concrete by Lever Brothers' own workmen and then clad with Anglesey limestone. Formally opened on 21st July 1897 by the Hon.George H.Reid, Premier of New South Wales, it was named Victoria Bridge to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. With subsequent filling-in of the tidal creeks, the bridge was buried beneath the road. Some of the parapets were re-used on a nearby bridge on the New Chester Road. The name and date stone lay unused and undiscovered until the 1984 Liverpool Garden Festival where they were re-used to form a feature in Unilever's Victorian Garden. After the festival they disappeared again, eventually being re-discovered in Vale Park in Wallasey by Gavin Hunter. Their return to Port Sunlight was agreed with the local authority, and they now stand opposite the Bridge Inn whose name commemorates the original structure.
Part of the original Victoria Bridge which was so named to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Inscribed on stone: VICTORIA BRIDGE/1897
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.