Archway and Hillsborough Memorial Garden
Standing at the south end of The Diamond, the garden terminates the axis from the Lady Lever Art Gallery. An ornamental arch, with flanking flat pilasters and open pediment, gives access into a small rose garden which contains a memorial to the local victims of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. The garden is surrounded by a low terrace wall with 3 rectangular projections. A central round-headed recess has lion mask fountain with very shallow semi-circular bowl to front. To north of this a further semi-circular terrace with projecting returns and steps to either side and on the south side, flanking piers with scrolly caps and returned balustrade.
The archway and terrace walls were designed by James Lomax Simpson, godson of the first Lord Leverhulme and appointed Lever Brother's company architect in 1910.The Hillsborough Memorial was commissioned and paid for by UML Limited who were responsible for the upkeep of the village until the formation of the Port Sunlight Trust in 1999.
Standing on Jubilee Crescent which was so named to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of Port Sunlight in 1938, the archway was constructed five years earlier in 1933/34 and completed the architectural layout of Port Sunlight. The Hillsborough Memorial was erected in 1989 in memory of those who lost their lives in the Hillsborough disaster.
Inscribed on the memorial plaque: IN MEMORY/OF THOSE WHO DIED AT/HILLSBOROUGH/ON 15th APRIL 1989/AND IN SYMPATHY WITH THE/RELATIVES AND FRIENDS/WHO SURVIVED THEM./THE UNILEVER COMPANIES ON MERSEYSIDE.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.