Bull Stake Sewer Gas Lamp
Type Readymade , Street Furniture
This replica of an original lamp which was used to burn off sewer gases from the head of the main.
When the traffic island on which the original Sewer Gas Lamp stood was removed, it was decided to preserve this unusual item of Darlaston heritage, however the current lamp is a replica. There is some contradiction about exactly how and when the lamp was replaced. The cast iron base of the lamp is from an original 1902 overhead-wire standard (1). Turn of the century photographs show the lamp on Bull Stake traffic island to have three lanterns (2). A 1960 photograph shows a single lantern like the present replica (3). Raven states that, 'The lamp was repositioned. . . on top of an old tramway pole' (4) indicating that the lantern is the original; but Timmins contradicts this saying, 'the lamp was re-erected on its present site but as soon as this had been done, the lantern was smashed beyond repair' and therefore 'the present one is a replica' (5). The tramway pole is however almost certainly the only British Electric Traction Company pole now standing in a public street.
The lamp was recommended for listing to the Secretary of State in April-June 1984.
PMSA recording information