National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Allegorical Figures


Type Coat of Arms , Panel , Sculpture , Statue

     The central pavilion formed by the two storey Lichfield Road frontage is over 50 metres long and has three pavilions. The central one (18 metres high), being the main entrance, has Britannia Triumphant at the top as the focal point representing the Nation. Beneath her the figure of Justice is protecting a child and holding a sword, the word 'JUSTICE' is carved on the statue's base. Slightly lower on either side two caryatid figures represent Day and Night. Over the entrance itself are two smaller figures representing Day and Night and the Borough Coat of Arms are carved in relief from Walnut. Between the first and second storey are twelve relief panels representing industries and activities of the Borough. These are from left to right; Literature, Dance, Pottery, Saddlery, Shipping (Commerce), Blacksmithing (Engineering), Sculpture, Art, Glass Blowing, Spinning, Dance and Music. The end pavilions each have a pair of freestanding figures siting between a shield surmounted by a crown. Both pilasters of the pavilions are carved in relief with a variety of symbols including musical instruments, masks, helmets etc. The tower in 44 metres high and has a number of carved elements. The most important are four figures at each corner of the base of the final stage of the tower. They represent the four winds. The tower street frontage is less decorated having five relief panels each comprising a male and female figure facing outwards. They represent the elements, Water, the Ocean, Fruits of the Earth, Fire and the Stars. The interior has a range of carving including over the entrance to the Council Chamber where there are two figures in relief representing Law and Learning with an owl in the centre representing Wisdom. The Council Chamber itself has a wooden carved canopy for the Mayor's seat with a coat of arms in relief underneath. The Chamber also has other stone carved capitals and other features.


None except for granite foundation stone to left of entrance which was laid by His highness Prince Christian of Schleswig Holstien on 29th May 1902.

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Fehr, Henry Charles Sculptor
Gibson, James Glenn Sivewright Architect
Hardy, George Stonemason

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Figures in central pavilion White Hollington stone (quality known as 'best seconds') tbc
Reliefs (12) White Hollington stone (quality known as 'best seconds') None
Carved end pavilions White Hollington stone (quality known as 'best seconds') None
Figures on tower White Hollington stone (quality known as 'best seconds') None
Reliefs (5) White Hollington stone (quality known as 'best seconds') None
Carvings inside Council House Monk's Park stone None
Coat of arms over main entrance Walnut None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
WMwaWAvh006 BM
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Previous treatments
  • Bird guano
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
Structural condition
  • Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
  • None
Road Lichfield Street
Precise location On the fa├žade of the Council House
A-Z ref 33 1H
OS ref SP014987
Date of design Design 1901; contract Nov. 1901; start Feb. 1902
Year of unveiling 1902-1905
Unveiling details Building opened on 27th September 1905
Commissioned by Walsall Council
Duty of care Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results