Four groups of abstract shallow relief panels interspersed amongst plain panels on the walls of a pedestrian shopping precinct. There are three designs which are randomly repeated and resemble spirals and stylised sun and flower motifs. There is a group of 15 panels on either side of the entrance from Mell Square, a third group of 23 panels inside the precinct and a fourth group of nine panels by one of the exits to Poplar Road.
The original Mell Square shopping development was built between 1962 and 1965 after the demolition of many old buildings in Drury Lane and Mill Lane. It was officially named in 1966 in honour of (William) Maurice Mell, Town Clerk 1947-65. Mell Square was refurbished in the 1980s.
The panels were organised by Norwich union as part of the extension of the centre and development of the Poplar War shopping Mall and were installed in 1979 when the Mall was opened.
PMSA recording information