National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Blackfriars Preaching Cross


Type Cross

     Hexagon steps of three tiers. From the central column base spring clustered columns. The buttressed aracding round this enclosed just enough space in which a preacher could stand.There are six Gothic arches and 12 internal arches. It is the only surviving example of an early decorated Gothic preaching cross dating from the fourteenth century (and restored in the nineteenth).
     The cross was restored circa 1864 by Sir Gilbert Scott 'who added a far too long shaft and closed up the entrance for the preacher'.(1)


See photo

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Scott, Gilbert Restorer

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Steps Stone 229cm wide at maximum
Column base Stone 61cm sides
Whole None 442cm high to under battlements

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
HEheHExx014 BM
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Abrasions, cracks, splits
Structural condition
  • Broken, missing parts
  • Replaced parts
  • Cracks, splits, breaks, holes
  • None
Road Widemarsh Street
Precise location In grounds of former Blackfriars Monastery, now gardens of Coningsby Hospital
A-Z ref None
OS ref SO512404
Date of design None
Year of unveiling Late1300s
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status Don't know
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results