A statue of a badger holding a shield on each gate pier. The shields have scrolled edges and carry inscriptions. A cartouche on the hospital wall carries the name of the hospital.
The main benefactor of the hospital was Richard Badger, a wine maerchant who lived in the town for many years. He financed the original building and furnishings as a memorial to his wife Ellen. The hospital was opened by the Bishop of Worcester, Dr. J.J.A. Perowne, on the 22 September 1896. It was known as the Ellen Badger Cottage hospital until 1922.
On shield held by left gate pier statue: 'COTTAGE / HOSPITAL'
On shield held by right gate pier statue: 'OPENED / 22 OCTOBER / 1898'
PMSA recording information