Ten angel figures kneeling and reading the Bible intently. They are located at the top of the two side walls (five each side), supporting the roof trusses along both walls. They are painted in naturalistic colours. Pevsner considers that Pugin may have been responsible for the decorative colouring.The Lady Chapel has a very fine red and blue Pugin-designed roof in the Gothic style. A recently installed modern stained glass window in vivid colours adorns the third wall. In front is a stainless steel altar cross revolving with the heat of candles on which three glass doves are suspended.
Thomas Fradgley designed the angel corbels, but these were decorated by Pugin at the same time as the ceiling (1849-51). In a watercolour by Joseph Lynch dated 1854, the angels' bibles are painted red and the figures themselves are gilded. The figures have been recently restored.
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.