Admiral Lord Collingwood
A small bust of Collingwood in his admiral's uniform set in a niche above the doorway to Milburn House, built in 1902-5 by Oliver, Leeson and Wood.
Collingwood was born on the Side. As a writer commentated, c.1880, 'The future commander of the fleet at Trafalgar scampered hereabouts in happy childish ignorance of all evils to come'.(1)
Milburn House has been described as 'an example of the early diversification of coal and shipping capital into office property'.(2) It is built on the steep slope of the Side and its floors are numbered like the decks on a ship. There is much Arts and Crafts detailing inside, especially low relief panels, glass and woodwork.
Cuthbert Collingwood (1748-1810) was born in Newcastle and educated at the Grammar School. He joined the Navy at the age of thirteen and from 1761 to 1786 was almost constantly at sea. In 1791 he married a member of the Blackett family and settled in Morpeth. During the French Wars he again saw almost continual service, particularly distinguishing himself at the battles of Cape St Vincent (1797) and Trafalgar (1805) where he was Nelson's second-in command. For his 'valour, judgement and skill' in the last of these, he was rewarded with a peerage and the freedom of various cities. He died at sea and was given a state funeral and a monument in St Paul's.
Inscribed on base: COLLINGWOOD / SITE OF BIRTH PLACE / 1748
PMSA recording information
Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.