A large tower of now-blackened stone blocks raised vertically on a cross plan.
It is not known why the former tower, a much larger monument with an entrance and battlements, was replaced in 1956.(1)
On bronze tablet erected on north face, in raised capitals:
ESTON NAB / THIS MONUMENT IS PLACED HERE TO MARK THE / SITE OF THE BEACON TOWER WHICH WAS ERECTED BY THOMAS JACKSON OF LACKENBY ABOUT 1800 AS / A LOOK-OUT POST AGAINST INVASION DURING THE / NAPOLEONIC WARS AND WHICH AGAIN SERVED THE SAME / PURPOSE IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939 -1945 / IT STANDS WITHIN A BRONZE AGE FORTIFIED/ CAMP WHOSE OUTER DEFENCES CAN BE SEEN / ERECTED IN 1956
PMSA recording information