National Recording Project


Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

East Hartburn Flax-Beating Stone commemorating the Diamond Jubilee of Victoria


Type Other

     A tapering roughly hewn stone erected upon rusticated steps.


On bronze plaque attached to stone in incised Romaqn lettering: June VRJ 1897 / THIS STONE WAS ERECTED / to commmemorate the completion / of the 60th year of / the reign of / QUEEN VICTORIA / It was found near the village / of Hartburn / and was used to beat flax / in former days. On bronze plaque (on steps* ?): In 1183 William de Hertburne of this township / within the manor of Stockton quit-claimed his / lands here for those in Washington in the county / palative of Durham and adopted as his new style / Willaim de Wessyngton/ (np)This plaque was unveiled by the worshipful the / Mayor of Stockton-on-Tees Councillor B. Hodgson / to commemorate the 800th anniversary of this / event. / A descendent of William, General George Washington / became first president of the United States of America / 2nd April 1983

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Base and steps Stone 72cm high x 176cm wide x 95cm deep
Whole work Stone 110cm high x 100cm wide x 40cm deep

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
General condition Fair
Surface condition
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
  • Biological growth
  • Accretions
Structural condition
Road Hartburn Village
Precise location In front garden of All Saint's Church
A-Z ref 69 3E
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design None
Year of unveiling 1897
Unveiling details None
Commissioned by None
Duty of care None
Listing status II
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results