An open three-bay Roman Doric former conduit head. It stands facing north-east, within sight of the A1 behind a low wall. The metope is decorated with an ox skull in low relief flanked by two shields each carrying the emblem of the Newcastle Corporation. A lion couchant and two urn finials on top.
Designed by the Newcastle architect David Stephenson, the Cale Cross was originally erected at the foot of the Side, Newcastle in 1783 at the expense of Sir Matthew White Ridley.(1) There it replaced a medieval shelter with a cross on top, a drawing of which is to be found at Alnwick Castle, (the name 'Cale' refers to the produce sold in the nearby market).(2) In 1807 in order to ease traffic congestion on the Side it was moved to its present site in the grounds of Blagdon Hall, the Ridleys' country seat where it functions as a purely decorative feature.(3)
PMSA recording information