Adam Robertson Fountain
A working drinking fountain in the style of 'a phase of the Italian Renaissance.'(1) A square sandstone pedestal with chamfered corners supports an octagonal cornice from which rise eight polished pink granite columns. These bear an arcade with spandrels and keystones above which is a decorated frieze which includes Robertson's monogram and a masonic emblem. This is capped by a sandstone panelled dome with a bronze and glass lantern on top. There is a polished pink granite trough on the north side.
The fountain was the gift of Alderman Adam Robertson, the founder of a successful local firm of decorators and a leading figure in Alnwick politics. Robertson offered to erect the fountain on 18th June 1890. His wife Nancy laid the foundation stone on 3rd February 1891 and Earl Percy declared the fountain open at a ceremony on 8th June 1891attended by the Northumberland Fusiliers band and a large group of freemasons.(2)
Inscised in pink granite on the north face of the pedestal in black Roman lettering: PRESENTED / BY / ADAM ROBERTSON / TO / HIS NATIVE TOWN / 1890
and below: OPENED BY EARL PERCY JUNE 8th 1891
Attached to the south face inscribed on a painted plaque in lettering: ROBERTSON'S PANT / THIS FOUNTAIN / OR PANT WAS ERECTED / IN 1890 BY ADAM ROBERTSON / LOCAL FREEMAN AND / BENEFACTOR AS A / GIFT TO HIS NATIVE TOWN / RESTORED 1986
PMSA recording information