Annfield Plain Morrison Pit Memorial
Chiselled in imitation of a coal face, a memorial stone of dark grey granite on a granite base. The polished north-west face bears an inscription.
A local mining historian suggested that a memorial be erected on the fiftieth anniversary of the disaster. The stone, designed by Reverend Geoff Lawes of St. Aidan's Church, was erected in a corner of the churchyard opposite the former colliery. It was dedicated on the 23rd August 1997 in a ceremony attended by descendants of those killed in the explosion.
County Durham's most fatal mining accident for 38 years occured just after midnight on the 23rd August 1947. Twenty four miners were carrying out routine maintenance work in the North pit when an explosion ripped through the workings. Although rescuers were quick on the scene they found nineteen men dead. The force of the blast had killed them instantly. Of the five miners that were rescued, only two survived.
Incised in white Roman capitals on north-west face: IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO DIED / THE LOUISA MORRISON COLLIERY DISASTER / AUGUST 23RD 1947 / (22 names) / THE TWO SURVIVORS WERE WH. JOHNSON & J.KILGALLON / THIS STONE WAS DEDICATED ON AUGUST 23RD 1997 / BY THE RT. REVEREND D.E. JENKINS.
PMSA recording information